Ben grew up in Berea, OH jumping BMX bikes into Coe Lake, pilfering forgotten baseballs from the BW College dugouts, and living on $1.99 Little Caesar’s specials. Based in the Midwest, he is a versatile and passionate photographer and filmmaker with the creative, technical and managerial skills acquired across a wide range of challenging roles.
COLUMBIA COLLEGE CHICAGO Chicago, IL
Master of Fine Arts in Writing and Directing for Film & Video 2009
UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO Albuquerque, NM
Bachelor of Arts in University Studies 2002
Media Arts and English
• National Safety Council, Disney II Magnet School, Inland Press – Media management, creative edit, graphics, color correction, sound mixing, and final delivery.
• Alternative Cut Productions – Cinematography, sound recording, and lighting.
• Mr. Sunday Morning Productions – Photograph behind the scenes and media management of feature documentary elements.
• Chicago Park District – Document the prairies of the Calumet Region with photography and video.
• Hadley Media, INC. – Photography and time-lapse video of Daredevil Season 1 poster installation for worldwide distribution.
• Columbia College Chicago Cinema Art + Science – Photograph behind the scenes for film productions and events.
• Mentor, train, and supervise part-time staff and student workers on Post Production Center policies, NLE troubleshooting, machine room operations, and customer service.
• Supervise the archive of media to LTO tapes and inventory of LTO archive.
• Schedule and teach Adobe Premiere tutorials – media management, project set up, basic editing, effects, and final delivery.
• Provide curricular support – training materials, media, paperwork, and resources for classes.
• Troubleshoot digital editing and finishing workflows.
• Maintain the Avid Isis accounts, drive allocation, media inventory.
• Maintain lab and classroom reservations, manage check in and check out procedures.
• Supervise machine room operations – archive media to LTO tape, SD and HD capture, master to tape, and DVD duplication.
• Produce FrameWork – student cover letter videos, The Chicago International Film Festival panel and Q&A videos, and in house promotional videos.
• Digital Workflows: Data Management (2012-2017) – Curriculum development; creating unique workflows and data management processes with tutorials and on set experience for advanced editing and digital cinematography courses emphasizing the Alexa, RED, C300, and DSLR camera systems.
• Editing 1 Lab (2016-2017) – Technical component to the lecture with an emphasize on workflow, project set up, basic editing, effects, and final delivery.
• Editing 1 (2011-2014) – Curriculum development; considering the interaction of the artist with media and audience, utilizing editing aesthetics and hands on Avid tutorials.
Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut Studio, Avid, Avid ISIS Server, DaVinci Resolve Studio 12, ShotPut Pro 5, Disc Flow Rimage: DVD label design and duplication, Cache-A: LTO Archive, Toast, MPEG Streamclip Canon DSLR & C100 Camera Systems.
Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, FileMaker Pro Advanced
References available upon request.